Sunday, August 26, 2012

A new costume?



Yesterday, a thought came into my head. Not that the thought hadn't come into my head before, but this time, I was actually in a post-Manifest slump.

This thought was about dressing as a certain Game of Thrones character I've had my eye on for some time now. While Lancel Lannister's been on my mind for a while, he's not of enough consequence at the moment to be to my (or anyone else's) liking. Viserys Targaryen was an option for some time, but (and I know how this really shouldn't ever bother me) a certain particularly charming cosplayer I know has it on his agenda as well, and I'd like to leave him to it.

So those two were out. Tall, slender men who didn't do much fighting? Not many in Game of Thrones, I would imagine. Violence! Death! Sex! Explosions! It's not common to find someone in GoT who doesn't fall under one of those four categories.

But now I know who I want, and I have the hair/makeup test to back it up. And while my face balked at the preparation work for it, it's probably the best character for me.

Here's a test shot of the character I picked:
Petyr Baelish, Game of Thrones.


Certainly, I'll fix the mo and the hair...I grabbed those from my cupboard for this trial and coloured the sides with white body paint. Baelish stubble was made with an old toothbrush, and the hair under his lower lip (does anyone think it resembles hair of the feminine nether regions? I think it's intentional) was done with an angled brush, using dark brown shadow. I remember his eyebrows greying out from the halfway point on, but otherwise I haven't concealed them. The non-pale sections of my eyebrows were darkened as well.

There was going to be a lot more liquid latex than what made it into the final picture, but the work it took, oh god! I've never been good at smoothing out the seams, and it hurt a little (pansy I know) to keep it on and work all of the facial muscles to try and find wrinkle lines. (I'm turning 20 next month. The revelation that I have to try really really really hard before anything resembling crow's feet turns up was a proud moment for me) Then I pulled off the liquid latex on the sides of my mouth and the outer corners of my eyes, and went and drew lines with bronzer/medium brown eyeshadow based on the memory of where those wrinkles sat.

I gave myself a bit of token eyeliner and lined under my eyebags, and then I raised my eyebrows and frowned and filled in the lines that appeared on my forehead and between my eyebrows. You know, standard stuff. And of course, there was the fake moustache, which I attached with spirit gum.

That fake mo makes Littlefinger, kay. No arguments. I looked at myself without it, and it just wasn't the same. No mo, regular old guy. With mo, Littlefinger. :'DDDDD
That mo is like a caterpillar on my upper lip. I've never had a caterpillar on my upper lip before, and I never want to, but that's probably it. It will harass your sorry ass and threaten to fall off if you laugh too hard (I speak from experience), but it makes the Baelish Look. So if you do this you absolutely have to keep it on. That is your #1 priority. If your clothes fall off in the process of keeping your mo, that's okay, because it's Game of Thrones. Either everyone dies, or their clothes fall off. Sometimes both. Unless you are a kid. Or Littlefinger. But let's ignore that deeply contradictory point and move on.

I was surprised at how little contouring I did (practically none) beyond aging things, but I might mess with with the temples a bit the next time I try something like this. Either way, I'm so doing this costume now. :'DDDDDDDD He's such a fun character to do, after makeup process. All the scheming and creeping and being really smart and obsequious to everyone! Fabulous.

Now, who wants to be my Varys? ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment